Saturday, January 9, 2010

Assigntment #2

Period 4 Assignment #2: After reading this book review, what do you think your experience reading this book is going to be like? Do you tend to look at book reviews before you purchase a book? Do you use book reviews to influence your book purchases? Are you more apt to listen to a friend who recommends a book to you? Your response should be at least 250 words.

After reading this book review, I was pretty confident that I would enjoy the book And Still We Rise. I felt compelled to read such a thoroughly enjoyed book from reading his review. Like Welch, I live in a community where we take things for granted pretty often. Many of us complain about how our parents did not get us what we wanted for Christmas or will not get us that new shiny car; we are ignorant of the fact that many people face hardships that are on such a greater magnitude than our own. From what I have read so far in this book, I have felt extremely selfish because I am one of these people that complain about what I have to face, when in reality, my troubles are nothing compared to what these students must go through on a daily basis.

I do not tend to look at book reviews before purchasing a book. I mainly go off what I hear from my peers and teachers. I feel as though my peers and teachers have more knowledge on what I would like to read or share the same interests in books as I do, and so I mostly go off what my friends say about different books. However, after reading this book review, I probably should begin to do some research on a book before I actually buy it. If I had not been assigned to read And Still We Rise I probably would have overlooked it and went for something else. Especially after reading this book review, I am excited to read how the story unfolds and the outcome of each of the student’s journeys through their final year in high school.

1 comment:

  1. Viv, I see you points. This is fine, but, I think that if you wanted to, you could push your writing a little bit more!

    ReplyDelete